The Witzels of Oberweisenborn
very old Witzel family-line is first mentioned when the family purchased the local mill in Oberweisenborn in 1535. The record indicates that the family moved from nearby Buchenau. Consequently, the Witzels owned and operated the mill in Oberweisenborn for over 300 years.
In 1650, Johann Valentin Witzel was born at the mill. Just a few years following, according to records from nearby Fürsteneck, in 1664, Hans Witzel and Hans Fricke von Kuntz Wiegand joined together to purchase the farm located next to the mill.
By 1725, Johann Daniel Witzel, born in 1683, had become the exclusive owner of both the mill and the farm. His importance in the community is evidenced in the fact that he was selected to serve as a Schöffe (in Latin: scabini; English: councilman) in Fürsteneck.
Born in 1749, Johann Christoph Witzel continued the family trade as miller and also served as a Schöffe.
Eventually, the mill passed to Johannes Witzel, born in 1775, and then to Martin Witzel, born in 1846.
Magnus Witzel (brother of Mary Elizabeth) came to America in June of 1860. Joseph and John came in June of 1866.